Friday, November 15, 2013

River Rocks

 I thought I'd post some of my recent artwork between big, meaningful posts..

This is a sculpture I did just for the fun of it, and would be really simple to recreate. I took aluminum foil and shaped it to resemble river rocks and covered them in Sculpey clay..


After baking them, I painted all of them gray, brown, or sienna. After giving them all a single-colored coat, I went in and detailed each one. Some, I watered down blue-gray paint and gave the whole rock a coat, while others I splotched with a paintbrush or gave granite-like stripes..


Then, I got some course-textured painting medium, mixed in some yellows and browns to give it the color of sand, and laid it down on the canvas in a thin layer. While it was still wet, I took the painted clay stones and stuck them in the sand medium, and let dry. Then, I put it in an 8" x 10" shadowbox. Voila! What do you think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment